Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ruffle Sleeve Top

I'm a nanny to two pretty cute kids which is definately fun cuz they're good kids but quite frankly more times than not I feel a bit like a stay-at-home mom (not that thats a bad thing!). So there are days when I feel the urge to do something, something besides entertaining kids, feeding kids, breaking up squabbles and wiping noses and bottoms.

Lately I've been a bit of a blog stalker and I've gotten so inspired by all the wonderful creative things that are floating out there in the blog world. It took me awhile but my need to create finally broke through. I had a number of various tutorials bookmarked (and still do!) and I've slowly started working my way through them. Now you should probably know that although I've always been creative and have enjoyed making things, sewing definately was not one of my creative outlets. Until about a month or so ago the last time I touched a sewing machine was in home-ec class my freshman year of high school, over ten years ago.

I found this adorable and insanely easy tutorial for the Ruffle Sleeve Top over at Sparkle Power and just had to try it out. It was one of the first things I made for Sylvie and I think it turned out pretty cute even if I did make a few rookie mistakes in sewing process.

The material was actually a men's dress shirt which I had purchased for a different project that never was even started and Sylvie had more than enough pink in her closet so I opted to make her something blue. When I first measured, cut and began sewing it didn't take me long to realize that the top would actually be too short for Sylvie. Thankfully I had just enough fabric left from a previous project to add a band at the bottom. Honestly I think its much cuter with the band at the bottom than it would have been without it.


Even after adding the band it looked a little incomplete so I added a pocket. I had saved the pocket from the dress shirt so I trimmed it up a little on the bottom sewed it on and added a little pop of orange and little applique inside the pocket.

I think the pocket is my favorite part.

No comments: